You can configure the vSphere Web Client to scan virtual machines, virtual appliances, and ESXi hosts at specific times or at intervals that are convenient for you.
- Connect the vSphere Web Client to a vCenter Server system with which Update Manager is registered, and select an object from the inventory.
If your vCenter Server system is connected to other vCenter Server systems by a common vCenter Single Sign-On domain, specify the Update Manager instance that you want to use to schedule a scan task by selecting the name of the corresponding vCenter Server system in the navigation bar.
- In the inventory tree, select the inventory object to be scanned.
All child objects of the object that you select are also scanned.
- Select the Monitor tab, and click Task & Events.
- Select Scheduled Tasks, and click Schedule a New Task.
- Select Scan for Updates from the drop-down list that appears.
The Scan for Updates wizard opens.
- On the Edit Settings page, select the types of updates to scan the inventory object for.
You must select at least one scan type.
- On the Scheduling options page, describe and schedule the scan task.
- Enter a unique name, and optionally, a description for the scan task.
- Click Change to set the frequency and the start time for the scan task.
- (Optional) Specify one or more email addresses to receive notification after the scan task is complete.
You must configure mail settings for the vCenter Server system to enable this option.
- Click OK.
The scan task is listed in the Scheduled Tasks view of the vSphere Web Client.