Dynamic baselines consist of a set of patches that meet certain criteria. The contents of a dynamic baseline varies as the available patches change. You can also exclude or add specific patches. Patches you select to add or exclude do not change with new patch downloads.
- Use the vSphere Web Client to log in to a vCenter Server Appliance, or to a vCenter Server system with which Update Manager is registered.
- In the Home view of the vSphere Web Client, select the Update Manager icon.
- From the Objects tab, select an Update Manager instance.
The Objects tab also displays all the vCenter Server system to which an Update Manager instance is connected.
- Click the Manage tab.
- On the Host Baselines tab, click Create a new baseline.
- Type a name, and optionally, a description of the baseline.
- Under Baseline Type select Host Patch, and click Next.
- On the Patch Options page, select Dynamic as the type of baseline, and click Next.
- On the Criteria page, specify the criteria to define the patches to include, and then click Next.
Specifies which patch vendor to use.
Restricts the set of patches to the selected products or operating systems.
The asterisk at the end of a product name is a wildcard character for any version number.
Specifies the severity of patches to include.
Specifies the category of patches to include.
Specifies the range for the release dates of the patches.
The relationship between these fields is defined by the Boolean operator AND.
For example, when you select a product and severity option, the patches are restricted to the ones that are applicable for the selected product and are of the specified severity level.
- (Optional) : On the Patches to Exclude page, select one or more patches from the list.
- (Optional) : Click Advanced to search for specific patches to exclude from the baseline.
- Click Next.
- (Optional) : On the Additional patches page, select individual patches to include in the baseline and click the down arrow to move them into the Fixed Patches to Add list.
The patches you add to the dynamic baseline stay in the baseline regardless of the new downloaded patches.
- (Optional) : Click Advanced to search for specific patches to include in the baseline.
- Click Next.
- Review the Ready to Complete page, and click Finish.
The new baseline is displayed in the Baselines pane of the Baselines and Groups tab.