If your deployment system is connected to the Internet, you can directly download ESXi patches and extensions, and virtual appliance upgrades.
- In the Home view of the vSphere Web Client, select the Update Manager icon.
- From the Objects tab, select an Update Manager instance.
The Objects tab also displays all the vCenter Server system to which an Update Manager instance is connected.
- Click the Manage tab.
- Click Settings, and select Download Setings.
- In the Download Sources pane, click Edit.
An Edit Download Sources dialog box opens.
- Select the option Use direct connection to Internet.
- Select a download source from the list, and click Enable or Disable depending on whether you want to download updates from that source.
You can choose to download virtual appliance upgrades and host patches and extensions. You cannot edit the download source location of the default ESXi patches and extensions. You can only enable or disable downloading.
- (Optional) : Add an extra third-party download source for virtual appliances or hosts that are running ESXi 5.5 and later.
- Click OK to close the Edit Download Sources dialog box.
- In the Download Sources pane, click Download Now to run the Download patch definitions task.
All notifications and updates are downloaded immediately even if the Enable scheduled download check box is selected in or , respectively.