When you remove a host from a cluster, its resources are deducted from the total resources of the cluster. The state of the virtual machines deployed on the host determines whether they are migrated to other hosts within the cluster, or remain on the host and are removed from the cluster.
Before you begin
Verify that all virtual machines on the host are powered off, or migrate the running virtual machines to a new host by using vMotion.
- In the vSphere Web Client, navigate to the host that you want to remove from a cluster.
- Right-click the host and select
All virtual machines on the host must be powered off so that the host can enter maintenance mode.
If the host is inside a DRS-enabled cluster, DRS attempts to automatically migrate powered-on virtual machines from the host by using vMotion.
- In the confirmation dialog box that appears, click Yes.
When the task for entering maintenance mode completes, the icon beside the host name changes.
- Right-click the host and select Move To.
- Select a data center, folder, or another cluster to move the host to.
vCenter Server moves the host to the new location.
- Right-click the host and select .
- (Optional) : Power on virtual machines on the host.