Use a physical floppy drive or a floppy image to add a floppy drive to a virtual machine.
About this task
ESXi does not support floppy drives that are backed by a physical floppy drive on the host.
You cannot use vMotion to migrate virtual machines that have floppy drives backed by a physical floppy drive on ESX 3.5, 4. 0, and 4.x hosts that vCenter Server 5.0 manages. You must disconnect these devices before you migrate the virtual machine.
Verify that you have theprivilege on the virtual machine.
- Right-click a virtual machine in the inventory and select Edit Settings.
- On the Virtual Hardware tab, select Floppy Drive from the New device drop-down menu, and click Add.
- Expand New Floppy drive and select the device type to use for this virtual device.
Select this option to connect the floppy device to a physical floppy device or a .flp floppy image on the system from which you access the vSphere Web Client.
Use existing floppy image
Select this option to connect the virtual device to an existing floppy image on a datastore accessible to the host.
Click Browse and select the floppy image.
Create new floppy image
Select this option to create a floppy image on a datastore accessible to the host.
Click Browse and browse to the location for the floppy image.
Enter a name for the floppy image and click OK.
- (Optional) : Select or deselect the Connected check box to connect or disconnect the device.
- (Optional) : Select Connect At Power On to connect the device when the virtual machine powers on.
- Click OK.