You can add one or more USB passthrough devices from a client computer to a virtual machine in the vSphere Web Client. The devices must be connected to a client computer that connects to the ESXi host on which the virtual machine resides.
The devices maintain their virtual machine connections in S1 standby, if the vSphere Web Client is running and connected. After you add the USB device to the virtual machine, a message on the client computer states that the device is disconnected. The device remains disconnected from the client computer until you disconnect it from the virtual machine.
Fault Tolerance is not supported with USB passthrough from a client computer to a virtual machine.
- Verify that a USB device is connected to the client computer.
- Verify that the virtual machine is powered on.
- Verify that a USB controller is present.
- Verify that the vSphere Web Client has access to the ESXi host on which the virtual machines are running.
- Required Privilege:
- In the vSphere Web Client, navigate to a virtual machine.
- Launch the VMware Remote Console application.
Note: You cannot connect a USB device to a virtual machine if you use the HTML5 console in the vSphere Web Client.
- In the VMware Remote Console toolbar, click and find the USB device.
- Click Connect (Disconnect from menu).