You can repoint a single vCenter Server with an embedded Platform Services Controller from one Single Sign-On domain to an existing Single Sign-On domain without a replication partner. Each Single Sign-On domain contains a single vCenter Server.
- Embedded repointing is only supported with vCenter Server 6.7 Update 1 and later.
- You must repoint to a vCenter Server that is of the same version.
- To ensure no loss of data, take a file-based backup of each node before proceeding with repointing the vCenter Server.
- Make sure that both embedded nodes are powered on before beginning the repointing process.
- (Optional) Run the pre-check mode command. The pre-check mode fetches the tagging (tags and categories) and authorization (roles and privileges) data from the vCenter Server. Pre-check does not migrate any data, but checks for conflicts between the source and destination vCenter Server. For example, run the pre-check with the following CLI:
cmsso-util domain-repoint -m pre-check --src-emb-admin Administrator --replication-partner-fqdn FQDN_of_destination_node --replication-partner-admin PSC_Admin_of_destination_node --dest-domain-name destination_PSC_domainNote: Pre-check is not required if a replication partner does not exist (repointing to a newly created domain).See Syntax of the Domain Repoint Command for argument definitions for the cmsso-util domain-repoint command.The pre-check writes the conflicts to the /storage/domain-data directory.
- (Optional) Review the conflicts and apply resolutions for all conflicts or apply a separate resolution for each conflict.
The conflict resolutions are:
Note: The default resolution mode for Tags and Authorization conflicts is Copy, unless overridden in the conflict files generated during pre-check.
- Copy: Create a duplicate copy of the data in the target domain.
- Skip: Skips copying the data in the target domain.
- Merge: Merges the conflict without creating duplicates.
- Run the execute command. In execute mode, the data generated during the pre-check mode is read and imported to the target node. Then, the vCenter Server is repointed to the target domain. For example, repointing without a replication partner, run the execute command with the following:
cmsso-util domain-repoint -m execute --src-emb-admin Administrator --dest-domain-name destination_PSC_domainSee Syntax of the Domain Repoint Command for argument definitions for the cmsso-util domain-repoint command.