Ensure that your Microsoft SQL Server database meets requirements, that you have the necessary credentials, and that you finish any necessary cleanup or other preparation before upgrading vCenter Server.
To remove the DBO role and migrate all objects in the DBO schema to a custom schema, see Knowledge Base article KB 1036331.
To migrate the vCenter Server database from Microsoft SQL Express to Microsoft full SQL Server, see Knowledge Base article KB 1028601.
Verify that you have confirmed basic upgrade interoperability before preparing your Microsoft SQL Server database for upgrading vCenter Server. See Database Requirements for vCenter Server on Windows.
Verify that you have backed up your database. For information about backing up the vCenter Server database, see the Microsoft SQL Server documentation.
To set database permissions correctly, see Database Permission Requirements for vCenter Server and Use a Script to Create and Apply a Microsoft SQL Server Database Schema and Roles.
- Verify that your database meets the upgrade requirements. If necessary, upgrade the database to a supported version.
- If vCenter Server does not support your database server, perform a database upgrade to a supported version or import your database into a supported version.
- If your existing database is Microsoft SQL Server, and you want to upgrade to a newly supported Microsoft SQL Server database, such as Microsoft SQL Server 2012, upgrade your Microsoft SQL Server database before upgrading vCenter Server.
If your existing database is Microsoft SQL Server, you do not need to install a new vCenter Server instance.When you migrate the database from Microsoft SQL Server 2005 to Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2-SP2 or later, set the compatibility level of the database to 100.
- Verify that permissions are set correctly.
- Verify that passwords are current and not set to expire soon.
- Verify that JDK 1.6 or later is installed on the physical vCenter Server machine.
- Verify that the sqljdbc4.jar file is added to the CLASSPATH variable on the physical machine where vCenter Server is to be upgraded.
If the sqljdbc4.jar file is not installed on your system, the vCenter Server installer installs it.
- Verify that your system database source name is using the Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10 or 11 driver.
- If you choose to remove the DBO role and migrate all objects in the DBO schema to a custom schema, you must grant the required permissions.
- Grant the required permissions to the vCenter Server user in the vCenter Server database.
- Grant the required permissions to the user in the MSDB database.
- Make a full backup of the vCenter Server database.
Your database is prepared for the vCenter Server upgrade.