You can use a physical drive on a client or host, or you can use an ISO image to add a CD/DVD drive to a virtual machine.
If you want to add a CD/DVD drive that is backed up by USB CD/DVD drive on the host, you must add the drive as a SCSI device. Hot adding or removing SCSI devices from an ESXi host is not supported.
Power off the virtual machine.
- Click Virtual Machines in the VMware Host Client inventory.
- Right-click a virtual machine in the list and select Edit settings from the pop-up menu.
- On the Virtual Hardware tab, select Add other device and select CD/DVD Drive from the drop-down menu.
- Expand CD/DVD drive and select an option.
Option Description Use physical drive
- Select Client Device as the location.
- From the Device Mode drop-down menu, select Emulate CD-ROM or Passthrough CD-ROM.
Use ISO Image
- Select Datastore ISO File as the location.
- Enter the path and filename for the image file, or click Browse to navigate to the file.
- If you do not want the CD-ROM drive to connect when the virtual machine starts, deselect Connect at power on.
- Select the virtual device node that the drive uses in the virtual machine.
- Click Save.