To connect peripheral devices to virtual machines, such as printers and scanners, you can use a parallel port. You send the output of such devices to a file on the host computer.
Note: To add a parallel port to a virtual machine that runs on an ESXi 4.1 or earlier host, you can also select to send output to a physical parallel port on the host. This option is not available with ESXi 5.0 and later host versions.
Power off the virtual machine.
- Verify that you have the privilege on the virtual machine.
- Click Virtual Machines in the VMware Host Client inventory.
- Right-click a virtual machine in the list and select Edit settings from the pop-up menu.
- On the Virtual Hardware tab, select Add other device and select Parallel Port.
The parallel port appears in the hardware list.
- Expand the parallel port and in the Connection field, browse to a folder to create the file in.
The file path appears in the Connection text box.
- (Optional) Select Connect at power on to configure the device to connect when the virtual machine powers on.
- Click Save.