With memory hot add, you can add memory resources for a virtual machine while that virtual machine is turned on.
Enabling memory hot add produces extra memory overhead on the ESXi host for the virtual machine.
- Power off the virtual machine.
- Verify that the virtual machine has a guest operating system that supports memory hot add capabilities.
- Verify that the virtual machine compatibility is ESXi 4.x and later.
- Verify that VMware Tools is installed.
- Click Virtual Machines in the VMware Host Client inventory.
- Right-click a virtual machine in the list and select Edit settings from the pop-up menu.
- On the Virtual Hardware tab, expand Memory and enable Memory Hot Plug.
- Click Save.