When you need to add virtual machines to a datastore, or when the virtual machines running on a datastore require more space, you can dynamically increase the capacity of a VMFS datastore.
If a shared datastore has powered on virtual machines and becomes 100% full, you can increase the datastore's capacity only from the host that the powered on virtual machines are registered on.
- Click Storage in the VMware Host Client inventory and click Datastores.
- Click New datastore.
- On the Select creation type page, click Add an extent to existing VMFS datastore and click Next.
- On the Select datastore page, select the datastore to expand and click Next.
- On the Select device page, select a device to create the new VMFS partition on and click Next.
- On the Select partitioning options page, select how to partition the device and click Next.
Option Description Use Full Disk
It shows you all the free space that is available on the device.
Click the Free space bar and use the horizontal scroller to partition the device.
- On the Ready to complete page, review the configuration details and click Finish.