By using the VMware Host Client, you can add a USB device to a virtual machine.
- Verify that a USB controller is present. See Add a USB Controller to a Virtual Machine in the VMware Host Client.
- Add a physical USB device to the ESXi host where the virtual machine is located by plugging the USB device into the host.
Note: If the ESXi host does not have available USB devices, you cannot add a USB device to the virtual machine.
- Click Virtual Machines in the VMware Host Client inventory.
- Right-click the virtual machine in the list and select Edit settings from the pop-up menu.
- On the Virtual Hardware tab, select Add other device and select USB device from the drop-down menu.
The USB device appears in the hardware list of available hardware devices for the virtual machine.
- From the USB device drop-down, select which USB device to add to the virtual machine.
- Click Save.