ESXi 6.7 supports VVol (Virtual Volume) storage and up to 5 node MSCS clusters. The storage array must support SCSI persistent operations at the subsidiary LUN level.
- ESXi 6.7 supports VVol Storage for Windows Server 2008 SP2 and above releases.
- All hosts must be running ESXi 6.7 or above.
- Only Cluster-across-box (CAB) is supported.
- MSCS on VVols can work with any type of disk, "Thin" as well as "Thick"-provisioned disks.
- This feature enables customers to move away from using Pass-through RDM (physical compatibility mode).
- MSCS on VVols supports HA, DRS and vMotion.
- The underlying transport protocol can be FC, ISCSI or FCOE.
- Cluster-in-a-box (CIB) and a mixture of CAB and CIB is not supported.
- N+1 cluster configuration, in which one ESXi host has virtual machines which are secondary nodes and one primary node is a physical box is not supported.