Passthrough devices provide the means to use resources efficiently and improve performance of your environment. You can enable DirectPath I/O passthrough for a network device on a host.
About this task
If your ESXi host is configured to boot from a USB device or an SD card attached to a USB channel, make sure that you do not enable DirectPath I/O passthrough for the USB controller. Passing through a USB controller on an ESXi host that boots from a USB device or SD card might put the host in a state where its configuration cannot be persisted.
- Browse to a host in the vSphere Web Client navigator.
- On the Configure tab, expand Hardware and click PCI Devices.
- To enable DirectPath I/O passthrough for a PCI network device on the host, click Edit.
A list of available passthrough devices appears.
A device is active and can be enabled.
The state of the device has changed, and you must reboot the host before you can use the device.
- Select the network device to be used for passthrough and click OK.
The selected PCI device appears in the table. Device information is displayed at the bottom of the screen.
- Reboot the host to make the PCI network device available for use.