vSphere Resource Management describes resource management for VMware® ESXi and vCenter® Server environments.
This documentation focuses on the following topics.
- Resource allocation and resource management concepts
- Virtual machine attributes and admission control
- Resource pools and how to manage them
- Clusters, vSphere® Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS), vSphere Distributed Power Management (DPM), and how to work with them
- Datastore clusters, Storage DRS, Storage I/O Control, and how to work with them
- Advanced resource management options
- Performance considerations
This information is for system administrators who want to understand how the system manages resources and how they can customize the default behavior. It’s also essential for anyone who wants to understand and use resource pools, clusters, DRS, datastore clusters, Storage DRS, Storage I/O Control, or vSphere DPM.
This documentation assumes you have a working knowledge of VMware ESXi and of vCenter Server.
vSphere Client and vSphere Web Client
Instructions in this guide reflect the vSphere Client (an HTML5-based GUI). You can also use the instructions to perform the tasks by using the vSphere Web Client (a Flex-based GUI).
Tasks for which the workflow differs significantly between the vSphere Client and the vSphere Web Client have duplicate procedures that provide steps according to the respective client interface. The procedures that relate to the vSphere Web Client, contain vSphere Web Client in the title.