After you create a DRS cluster, you can customize the automation level for individual virtual machines to override the cluster’s default automation level.
For example, you can select Manual for specific virtual machines in a cluster with full automation, or Partially Automated for specific virtual machines in a manual cluster.
If a virtual machine is set to Disabled, vCenter Server does not migrate that virtual machine or provide migration recommendations for it. This is known as pinning the virtual machine to its registered host.
- Browse to the cluster in the vSphere Client.
- Click the Configure tab and click Services.
- Under Services, select vSphere DRS and click Edit. Expand DRS Automation.
- Select the Enable individual virtual machine automation levels check box.
- To temporarily disable any individual virtual machine overrides, deselect the Enable individual virtual machine automation levels check box.
Virtual machine settings are restored when the check box is selected again.
- To temporarily suspend all vMotion activity in a cluster, put the cluster in manual mode and deselect the Enable individual virtual machine automation levels check box.
- Select one or more virtual machines.
- Click the Automation Level column and select an automation level from the drop-down menu.
Placement and migration recommendations are displayed, but do not run until you manually apply the recommendation.
Placement and migration recommendations run automatically.
Initial placement is performed automatically. Migration recommendations are displayed, but do not run.
vCenter Server does not migrate the virtual machine or provide migration recommendations for it.
- Click OK.
Other VMware products or features, such as vSphere vApp and vSphere Fault Tolerance, might override the automation levels of virtual machines in a DRS cluster. Refer to the product-specific documentation for details.