When you boot the ESXi host from SAN using software FCoE, certain requirements and considerations apply.
- Use ESXi of a compatible version.
- The network adapter must have the following capabilities:
- Be FCoE capable.
- Support ESXi open FCoE stack.
- Contain FCoE boot firmware which can export boot information in FBFT format or FBPT format.
- You cannot change software FCoE boot configuration from within ESXi.
- Coredump is not supported on any software FCoE LUNs, including the boot LUN.
- Multipathing is not supported at pre-boot.
- Boot LUN cannot be shared with other hosts even on shared storage. Make sure that the host has access to the entire boot LUN.