If you use the Internet as a download source for updates, you can add a third-party URL address to download patches and extensions for hosts that are running ESXi 6.0 and later.
- In the Home view of the vSphere Web Client, select the Update Manager icon.
- From the Objects tab, select an Update Manager instance.
The Objects tab also displays all the vCenter Server system to which an Update Manager instance is connected.
- Click the Manage tab.
- Click Settings, and select Download Setings.
- In the Download Sources pane, click Edit.
An Edit Download Sources dialog box opens.
- Select the option Use direct connection to Internet.
- Click Add.
An Add Download Source dialog box opens.
- Enter a URL to a new download source.
Update Manager supports both HTTP and HTTPS URL addresses. Use HTTPS URL addresses, so that the data is downloaded securely. The URL addresses that you add must be complete and contain the index.xml file, which lists the vendor and the vendor index.Note: The proxy settings for Update Manager are applicable to third-party URL addresses too. You can configure the proxy settings from the Proxy Settings pane.
- Type a short description for the URL, and click OK.
The vSphere Web Client performs validation of the URL.
- Click OK to close the Edit Download Sources dialog box.
- In the Download Sources pane, click Download Now to run the Download patch definitions task.
All notifications and updates are downloaded immediately even if the Enable scheduled download check box is selected in or , respectively.
The location is added to the list of Internet download sources.