You can export downloaded upgrades, patches, and notifications to a specific location that serves as a shared repository for Update Manager. You can configure Update Manager to use the shared repository as a patch download source. The shared repository can also be hosted on a Web server.
- If you are using UMDS on Windows, log in as an Administrator, or a user that belongs to the Administrators group. Administrator level access is not a requirement for exporting the downloaded data with UMDS that runs on Linux.
- If you installed UMDS with an existing download directory, make sure that you perform at least one download by using UMDS 6.7 before you export updates.
- Log in to the machine where UMDS is installed and open a Command Prompt window.
- Navigate to the directory where UMDS is installed.
- The default location in 64-bit Windows is C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager.
- The default location in 64-bit Linux is /usr/local/vmware-umds.
- Specify the export parameters and export the data.
vmware-umds -E --export-store repository_path
In the command, you must specify the full path of the export directory.
If you are working in a deployment in which the Update Manager server is installed on a machine connected to the machine on which UMDS is installed, repository_path can be the path to the folder on the Web server that serves as a shared repository.
If the Update Manager server is installed on a machine in an isolated and secure environment, repository_path can be the path to a portable media drive. Export the downloads to the portable media drive to physically transfer the patches to the machine on which Update Manager is installed.The data you downloaded by using UMDS is exported to the path you specify. Make sure that all files are exported. You can periodically perform export from UMDS and populate the shared repository so that Update Manager can use the new patch binaries and patch metadata.
- (Optional) You can export the ESXi patches that you downloaded during a specified time window.
For example, to export the patches downloaded in November 2010, run the following command:
vmware-umds -E --export-store repository-path --start-time 2010-11-01T00:00:00 --end-time 2010-11-30T23:59:59
What to do next
Configure Update Manager to use a shared repository as a patch download source. For more information, see Use a Shared Repository as a Download Source in the vSphere Web Client.