Download the patches and extensions from the Update Manager server to the ESXi hosts. Staging lets you reduce the time the host spends in maintenance mode during remediation.
- Attach a patch or extension baseline or a baseline group containing patches and extensions to the host.
- Required privileges: .
- Use the vSphere Web Client to log in to a vCenter Server Appliance, or to a vCenter Server system with which Update Manager is registered.
- From the inventory object navigator, select a data center, a cluster, or a host, and click the Update Manager tab.
- Click Stage.
The Stage Patches wizard opens.
- On the Baseline Selection page of the Stage wizard, select the patch and extension baselines to stage.
- Select the hosts where patches and extensions to download, and click Next.
If you select to stage patches and extensions to a single host, it is selected by default.
- (Optional) Deselect the patches and extensions to exclude from the stage operation.
- (Optional) To search within the list of patches and extensions, type a search criteria in the text box in the upper-right corner.
- Click Next.
- Review the Ready to Complete page, and click Finish.
The number of the staged patches and extensions for the specific host is displayed in the Patches and Extensions columns in the bottom pane of the Update Manager tab.
What to do next
Remediate the host or hosts.
After remediation, all staged patches and extensions, whether installed or not during the remediation, are deleted from the host.