To prevent unauthorized access to the vCenter Server Appliance Direct Console User Interface, you can change the password of the root user.
The default root password for the vCenter Server Appliance is the password you enter during deployment of the virtual appliance.
chage -M number_of_days -W warning_until_expiration user_name. To increase the expiration time of the root password to infinity, run the
chage -M -1 -E -1 rootcommand.
- Browse to the vCenter Server Appliance in the vSphere Web Client or the VMware Host Client inventory.
- Open the vCenter Server Appliance console.
- From the vSphere Web Client, on the Summary tab, click Launch Console.
- From the VMware Host Client, click Console and select an option from the drop-down.
- Click inside the console window and press F2 to customize the system.
- Type the current password of the root user and press Enter.
- Select Configure Root Password and press Enter.
- Type the old password of the root user, and press Enter.
- Set up the new password and press Enter.
- Press Esc until you return to the main menu.
You changed the password of the root user of the appliance.