You can change the virtual machine network configuration, including its power-on behavior and resource allocation.
For details about configuring the networking for virtual machine network adapters, see the vSphere Networking documentation.
Required privilege:on a network if you are changing the network the virtual machine connects to.
- Right-click a virtual machine in the inventory and select Edit Settings.
- On the Virtual Hardware tab, expand Network adapter, and select the port group to connect to from the drop-down menu.
The menu lists all standard and distributed port groups that are available for virtual machine use on the host.
If you want to provision bandwidth to the network adapter from a reserved quota by using vSphere Network I/O Control version 3, select a port group that is associated with the network resource pool that provides the quota.
- (Optional) Change the Status settings.
Select or deselect this option while the virtual machine is running to connect or disconnect the virtual network adapter. This check box is not available when the virtual machine is turned off.
Connect at power on
Select this option for the virtual network adapter to connect to the network when the virtual machine turns on. If you do not check this option, you must manually connect the adapter in order for the virtual machine to access the network.
- Select the network adapter type to use from the Adapter Type drop-down menu.
- (Optional) Select how to assign the MAC address from the drop-down menu.
Select Automatic to assign a MAC address automatically.
Select Manual to enter manually the MAC address that you want.
- If the network adapter is connected to a distributed port group of a distributed switch that has vSphere Network I/O Control version 3 enabled, allocate bandwidth to the adapter.
You cannot allocate bandwidth to SR-IOV passthrough network adapters.
- From the Shares drop-down menu, set the relative priority of the traffic from this virtual machine as shares from the capacity of the connected physical adapter.
- In the Reservation text box, reserve a minimum bandwidth that must be available to the VM network adapter when the virtual machine is powered on.
- In the Limit text box, set a limit on the bandwidth that the VM network adapter can consume.
- Click OK.