Use a physical floppy drive or a floppy image to add a floppy drive to a virtual machine.
ESXi does not support floppy drives that are backed by a physical floppy drive on the host.
Note: You cannot use vMotion to migrate virtual machines that have floppy drives backed by a physical floppy drive on ESX 3.5, 4. 0, and 4.x hosts that vCenter Server 5.0 manages. You must disconnect these devices before you migrate the virtual machine.
Important: With virtual hardware version 11 and later, the floppy disk controller is absent from the virtual chipset unless a floppy drive is connected to the virtual machine.
Verify that you have theprivilege on the virtual machine.
- Right-click a virtual machine in the inventory and select Edit Settings.
- On the Virtual Hardware tab, select Floppy Drive from the New device drop-down menu, and click Add.
- Expand New Floppy drive and select the device type to use for this virtual device.
Option Description Client Device Select this option to connect the floppy device to a physical floppy device or a .flp floppy image on the system from which you access the vSphere Web Client. Use existing floppy image
- Select this option to connect the virtual device to an existing floppy image on a datastore accessible to the host.
- Click Browse and select the floppy image.
Create new floppy image
- Select this option to create a floppy image on a datastore accessible to the host.
- Click Browse and browse to the location for the floppy image.
- Enter a name for the floppy image and click OK.
- (Optional) Select or deselect the Connected check box to connect or disconnect the device.
- (Optional) Select Connect At Power On to connect the device when the virtual machine powers on.
- Click OK.