vSphere Virtual Machine Administration describes how to create, configure, and manage virtual machines in the VMware vSphere® environment.
This guide provides introductions to the tasks that you can perform within the system and also cross-references to the documentation that describes the tasks in detail.
This information focuses on managing virtual machines and includes the following information.
- Creating and deploying virtual machines, templates, and clones
- Deploying OVF templates
- Using content libraries to manage templates and other library items
- Configuring virtual machine hardware and virtual machine options
- Managing multi-tiered applications with VMware vSphere vApp
- Monitoring solutions with the vCenter Solutions Manager
- Managing virtual machines, including using snapshots
- Upgrading virtual machines
- Troubleshooting virtual machines
vSphere Virtual Machine Administration covers VMware ESXi™ and VMware vCenter Server®.
This information is written for experienced Windows or Linux system administrators who are familiar with virtualization.
vSphere Web Client and vSphere Client
Instructions in this guide reflect the vSphere Client (an HTML5-based GUI). You can also use the instructions to perform the tasks by using the vSphere Web Client (a Flex-based GUI).
Tasks for which the workflow differs significantly between the vSphere Client and the vSphere Web Client have duplicate procedures that provide steps according to the respective client interface. The procedures that relate to the vSphere Web Client, contain vSphere Web Client in the title.