If a scratch partition is not set up, you might want to configure one, especially if the host is low on memory. When a scratch partition is not present, system logs are stored in a ramdisk.
The directory to use for the scratch partition must exist on the host.
- From the vSphere Client, connect to the vCenter Server.
- Select the host in the inventory.
- Click the Configure tab.
- Select System.
- Select Advanced System Settings.
The setting ScratchConfig.CurrentScratchLocation shows the current location of the scratch partition.
- In the ScratchConfig.ConfiguredScratchLocation text box, enter a directory path that is unique for this host.
For example, /vmfs/volumes/DatastoreUUID/DatastoreFolder.
- Reboot the host for the changes to take effect.