You can join a vCenter Server appliance to another node during deployment of the vCenter Server appliance.
You can also join a vCenter Enhanced Linked Mode group by moving, or repointing, a vCenter Server from one vSphere domain to another exisitng domain. See Repoint vCenter Server to Another vCenter Server in a Different Domain for information on repointing a vCenter Server node.
For example, suppose you want to deploy two vCenter Server appliance systems, and join the two nodes using vCenter Enhanced Linked Mode.
If you are deploying the vCenter Server appliance nodes with the UI Installer:
- For Appliance 1, deploy the vCenter Server appliance as an instance on ESXi Host 1. Synchronize the time settings with ESXi Host 1.
- For Appliance 2, deploy the vCenter Server appliance as an instance on ESXi Host 1 and configure the time settings so that Appliance 2 is synchronized with ESXi Host 1. In stage 2 you select to join the vCenter Single Sign-On server of the deployed appliance on Appliance 1. For specific instructions, see Stage 2 - Set up the Newly Deployed vCenter Server Appliance.
If you are deploying the vCenter Server appliance nodes with the CLI:
- Configure the JSON configuration template embedded_vCSA_on_VC.json (or embedded_vCSA_on_ESXi.json) for Appliance 1 as an instance on ESXi Host 1. See Prepare Your JSON Configuration File for CLI Deployment for specific instructions on preparing the JSON configuration file.
- Deploy Appliance 1 by running the vcsa-cli-installer command. See Deploy a vCenter Server Appliance by Using the CLI for instructions.
- Configure the JSON configuration template embedded_vCSA_replication_on_VC.json (or embedded_vCSA_replication_on_ESXi.json) for Appliance 2 as an instance on ESXi Host 1. Enter the hostname of the first embedded node in the
replication_partner_hostnamefield in the
- Deploy Appliance 2 by running the vcsa-cli-installer command using the embedded_vCSA_replication_on_VC.json (or embedded_vCSA_replication_on_ESXi.json) file.