You can use the vCenter Server Management Interface to back up the vCenter Server instance. You can select whether to include historical data, such as stats, events, and tasks, in the backup file.
- You must have an FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, SFTP, NFS, or SMB server up and running with sufficient disk space to store the backup.
- In a Web browser, go to the vCenter Server Management Interface, https://appliance-IP-address-or-FQDN:5480.
- Log in as root.
- In the vCenter Server Management Interface, click Backup.
The table under Activity displays the most current backup version taken of the vCenter Server.
- Click Backup Now.
The Backup Appliance wizard opens.
- (Optional) Select Use backup location and user name from backup schedule to use the information from a scheduled backup.
- Enter the backup location details.
Option Description Backup location Enter the backup location, including the protocol to use to connect to your backup server, the port, the server address, and backup folder to store the backup files.
Use one of the following protocols: FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, SFTP, NFS, or SMB.
For FTP, FTPS, HTTP, or HTTPS the path is relative to the home directory configured for the service.
Backup server credentials Enter a user name and password of a user with write privileges on the backup server.Note: Username and password should only contain ASCII characters.
- (Optional) Enter an Encryption Password if you want to encrypt your backup file.
If you select to encrypt the backup data, you must use the encryption password for the restore procedure.
- (Optional) Select Stats, Events, and Tasks to back up additional historical data from the database.
- (Optional) In the Description text box, enter a description of the backup.
- Click Start to begin the backup process.