You can use the GUI to migrate vCenter Server with an external Platform Services Controller to a vCenter Server appliance.
When you migrate from vCenter Server with an external Platform Services Controller on Windows to vCenter Server appliance, you migrate in two steps.
If you use Update Manager in the vCenter Server deployment on Windows that you migrate, and Update Manager runs on a separate machine from any other of the vCenter Server components, take an extra step to migrate Update Manager to an appliance.
- If your vCenter Server deployment on Windows uses an external Update Manager, run Migration Assistant on the Update Manager machine to start the migration of the Update Manager server and database to the Update Manager appliance.
- Migrate the vCenter Server instance from Windows to a vCenter Server appliance.
- Verify the newly migrated vCenter Server appliance.
- Decommision the Platform Services Controller.
GUI tasks for migrating an external Platform Services Controller instance from Windows to an appliance.
- Download and Mount the vCenter Server Installer ISO file on a network virtual machine or physical server from which you want to perform the migration.
- Download and Run VMware Migration Assistant on the Source Windows Machine.
Note: If you are migrating a vCenter Server system that uses an external instance of Update Manager that runs on a separate Windows machine, first run Migration Assistant on the Update Manager machine.
- Assemble the Required Information for Migrating vCenter Server from Windows to an Appliance for each Platform Services Controller or vCenter Server instance.
- Deploy the OVA File for the Target vCenter Server Appliance
- Set Up the Target vCenter Server Appliance
For each node to be migrated, the installer:
- Deploys a new target appliance.
- Exports the required files from the source Platform Services Controller or vCenter Server instance.
- Copies the required files to the target appliance for migration.
- Runs the migration process on the target appliance as indicated in the Summary.
- Imports and updates the files and settings of the source Platform Services Controller or vCenter Server instance to the new vCenter Server appliance.