You run Certificate Manager options in sequence to complete a workflow. Several options, for example, generating CSRs, are used in different workflows.
Replace VMCA Root Certificate with Custom Signing Certificate and Replace All Certificates.
This single-option workflow (Option 2) can be used by itself, or in the intermediate certificate workflow. See Regenerate a New VMCA Root Certificate and Replace All Certificates.
Make VMCA an Intermediate Certificate Authority
- To generate a CSR, select Option 2, Replace VMCA Root certificate with Custom Signing Certificate and replace all Certificates. You might have to provide some information about the certificate next. When prompted for an option again, select Option 1.
Submit the CSR to your external or enterprise CA. You receive a signed certificate and a root certificate from the CA.
- Combine the VMCA root certificate with the CA root certificate and save the file.
- Select Option 2, Replace VMCA Root certificate with Custom Signing Certificate and replace all Certificates. This process replaces all certificates on the local machine.
- When multiple vCenter Server instances are connected in Enhanced Linked Mode configuration, you must replace certificates on each node.
- First you replace the machine SSL certificate with the (new) VMCA certificate (Option 3)
- Then you replace the solution user certificates with the (new) VMCA certificate (Option 6).
Replacing All Certificate with Custom Certificates
- You generate certificate signing requests for the machine SSL certificate and the solution user certificates separately on each machine.
- To generate CSRs for the machine SSL certificate, you select Option 1.
- If company policy requires that you replace all certificates, you also select Option 5.
- After you received the signed certificates and the root certificate from your CA, you replace the machine SSL certificate on each machine by using Option 1.
- If you also want to replace the solution user certificates, you select Option 5.
- Finally, when multiple vCenter Server instances are connected in Enhanced Linked Mode configuration, you must repeat the process on each node.
Enter proper value for VMCA 'Name':Respond to the prompt by entering the fully qualified domain name of the machine on which the certificate configuration is running.