You can set up Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) traps to receive SNMP notifications for your vCenter HA cluster.
The traps default to SNMP version 1.
Set up SNMP traps for the Active node and the Passive node. You tell the agent where to send related traps, by adding a target entry to the snmpd configuration.
- Log in to the Active node by using the Virtual Machine Console or SSH.
- Run the vicfg-snmp command, for example:
vicfg-snmp -t 10.160.1.1@1166/publicIn this example, 10.160.1.1 is the client listening address, 1166 is the client listening port, and public is the community string.
- Activate the SNMP agent (snmpd) by running the following command.
What to do next
- To view the complete help for the command, run vicfg-snmp -h.
- To deactivate the SNMP agent, run vicfg-snmp -D.
- To show the SNMP agent's configuration, run vicfg-snmp -s.
- To reset the configuration to the default, run vicfg-snmp -r.