Use the datastore file browser to upload files to datastores on your host.
In addition to their traditional use as a storage for virtual machine files, datastores can serve to store data or files related to virtual machines. For example, you can upload ISO images of operating systems from a local computer to a datastore on the host. You then use these images to install guest operating systems on the new virtual machines.
- Click Storage in the VMware Host Client inventory and click Datastores.
- Click Datastore browser.
- Select the datastore that you want to store the file on.
- (Optional) Click Create directory to create a new datastore directory to store the file.
- Select the target folder and click Upload.
- Locate the item that you want to upload from your local computer and click Open.
The file uploads to the datastore that you selected.
- (Optional) Refresh the datastore file browser to see the uploaded file on the list.
- Click Close to exit the file browser.