You can add a virtual Watchdog Timer device to a virtual machine to prevent the virtual machine from a guest operating system failure for an extended period of time.
Power off the virtual machine.
- Verify that you have the privilege on the virtual machine.
- Verify that the guest operating system of the virtual machine supports the VWDT device.
- Verify that the virtual hardware version is 17.
- Click Virtual Machines in the VMware Host Client inventory.
- Right-click a virtual machine in the list and select Edit settings from the pop-up menu.
- On the Virtual Hardware tab, select Add other device and click Watchdog Timer.
The Watchdog Timer device appears in the hardware list.
- (Optional) Select Start with BIOS/EFI boot to start the watchdog timer by the BIOS or EFI firmware.
When you select this option, the VWDT device starts before the guest operating system. If the Guest OS boot takes too long or does not support the watchdog timer, the device might constantly restart the virtual machine.
- Click Save.