Use the New Virtual Machine wizard to deploy virtual machines from OVF and VMDK files, or from OVA files.
OVA deployment is limited to files under 1 GB in size due to Web browser limitations. To deploy an OVA file greater than 1 GB, extract the OVA file using tar and provide the OVF and VMDK files separately.
- Right-click Host in the VMware Host Client inventory and select Create/Register VM.
The New Virtual Machine wizard opens.
- On the Select creation type page, select Deploy a virtual machine from an OVF or OVA file and click Next.
- On the Select OVF and VMDK files page, provide a unique name for the virtual machine.
Note: Virtual machine names can contain up to 80 characters.
- To select an OVF and VMDK, or an OVA file to deploy, click the blue pane.
Your local system storage opens.
- Select the file that you want to deploy your virtual machine from and click Open.
The file you selected appears in the blue pane.
- Click Next.
- On the Select storage page, select the storage type for the virtual machine.
- To save all the virtual machine disks and configuration files on a standard datastore, click the Standard button.
- To save the virtual machine hard disks on the host-local PMem datastore, click the Persistent Memory button.
- Select a datastore from the list and click Next.
Important: The configuration files cannot be stored on a PMem datastore. If you choose to use PMem, you must select a regular datastore for the configuration files of the virtual machine.
- On the Deployment options page, select the network mappings, disk provisioning, and whether you want the virtual machine to power on after deployment.
- Click Next.
- On the Ready to complete page, review the details and click Finish.
The virtual machine appears in the VMware Host Client inventory under Virtual Machines.