To use a directory service for your host, you must join the host to the directory service domain.
You can enter the domain name in one of two ways:
- name.tld (for example, domain.com): The account is created under the default container.
- name.tld/container/path (for example, domain.com/OU1/OU2): The account is created under a particular organizational unit (OU).
To use the vSphere Authentication Proxy service, see vSphere Security.
- Click Manage in the VMware Host Client inventory and click Security & Users.
- Click Authentication and click Join domain.
- Enter a domain name.
Use the form name.tld or name.tld/container/path.
- Enter the user name and password of a directory service user account that has permissions to join the host to the domain and click Join domain.
- (Optional) If you intend to use an authentication proxy, enter the proxy server IP address and click Join domain.