When you enable this service while running in lockdown mode, you can log in locally to the direct console user interface as the root user and disable lockdown mode. You can then access the host using a direct connection to the VMware Host Client or by enabling the ESXi Shell.
- To enable or disable the Console Shell, right-click Host in the VMware Host Client inventory.
- Select Services from the drop-down menu and select Console Shell.
- Select a task to perform.
- If the Console Shell is enabled, click Disable to disable it.
- If the Console Shell is disabled, click Enable to enable it.