When you unmount a datastore in the VMware Host Client, it remains intact, but you can no longer view it in the inventory of the host that you manage. The datastore continues to appear on other hosts that it remains mounted on.
Note: Make sure that the datastore is not used by vSphere HA heartbeating. vSphere HA heartbeating does not prevent you from unmounting the datastore. However, if the datastore is used for heartbeating, unmounting it might cause the host to fail and restart all active virtual machines.
Before unmounting a datastore, also make sure that the following prerequisites are met:
- No virtual machines reside on the datastore.
- Storage DRS does not manage the datastore.
- Storage I/O Control is disabled for this datastore.
- Click Storage in the VMware Host Client inventory and click Datastores.
- Right-click the datastore to unmount from the list and click Unmount.
- Confirm that you want to unmount the datastore.