Create port groups on a vSphere Standard Switch to provide connectivity and common network configuration for virtual machines.
- In the vSphere Client, navigate to the host.
- Right-click the host and select Add Networking.
- In Select connection type, select Virtual Machine Port Group for a Standard Switch and click Next.
- In Select target device, select an existing standard switch or create a new standard switch.
- If the new port group is for an existing standard switch, navigate to the switch.
- Click Browse.
- Select a standard switch from the list and click OK.
- Click Next. and go to Step 7.
- (Optional) If you choose to create a new standard switch, enter a value for the MTU size and click Next.
You can create a standard switch with or without adapters.
If you create a standard switch without physical network adapters, all traffic on that switch is confined to that switch. No other hosts on the physical network or virtual machines on other standard switches can send or receive traffic over this standard switch. You might create a standard switch without physical network adapters if you want a group of virtual machines to be able to communicate with each other, but not with other hosts or with virtual machines outside the group.
- Click Add adapters.
- Select an adapter from the Network Adapters list and click OK.
- (Optional) Use the up and down arrows in the Assigned adapters list to change the position of the adapter if needed.
- Click Next.
- On the Connection settings page, identify traffic through the ports of the group.
- Type a Network label for the port group, or accept the generated label.
- Set the VLAN ID to configure VLAN handling in the port group.
The VLAN ID also reflects the VLAN tagging mode in the port group.
VLAN Tagging Mode VLAN ID Description External Switch Tagging (EST) 0 The virtual switch does not pass traffic associated with a VLAN. Virtual Guest Tagging (VGT) 4095 Virtual machines handle VLANs. The virtual switch passes traffic from any VLAN.
- Click Next.
- Review the port group settings in the Ready to complete page, and click Finish.
Click Back if you want to change any settings.