To manage virtual machine networking by using a distributed switch, migrate virtual machine network adapters to labeled networks on the switch.
Verify that at least one distributed port group intended for virtual machine networking exists on the distributed switch.
- On the vSphere Client Home page, click Networking and navigate to the distributed switch.
- From the Actions menu, select Add and Manage Hosts.
- On the Select task page, select Manage host networking and click Next.
- On the Select hosts page, click Attached hosts, select from the hosts that are associated with the distributed switch and click OK.
- Click Next.
- On the Manage physical adapters page, select a physical NIC from the On other switches/unclaimed list to assign an uplink to the adapter.
If you select physical NICs that are already assigned to other standard or distributed switches, the NICs are migrated to the current distributed switch.
- Click Assign uplink.
- Select an uplink or select Auto-assign, and click OK.
- Click Next
- (Optional) On the Manage VMkernel adapters page, configure VMkernel adapters.
- Select a VMkernel adapter and click Assign port group.
- Select a distributed port group and click OK.
- Click Next
- On the Migrate VM networking page, select the check box Migrate virtual machine networking to configure virtual machine networking.
- To connect all network adapters of a virtual machine to a distributed port group, select the virtual machine, or select an individual network adapter to connect only that adapter.
- Click Assign port group.
- Select a distributed port group from the list and click OK, and click Next.
- Click Next and click Finish.