General settings for a vSphere Distributed Switch include the switch name and number of uplinks. Advanced settings for a distributed switch include Cisco Discovery Protocol and the maximum MTU for the switch.
- In the vSphere Client Home page, click Networking and select the distributed switch.
- On the Configure tab, expand Settings and select Properties.
- Click Edit.
- Click General to edit the vSphere Distributed Switch settings.
Option Description Name Enter the name for the distributed switch. Number of uplinks Select the number of uplink ports for the distributed switch.
Click Edit uplink names to change the names of the uplinks.
Network I/O Control Use the drop-down menu to enable or disable Network I/O control. Description Add or modify a description of the distributed switch settings.
- Click Advanced to edit the vSphere Distributed Switch settings.
Option Description MTU (Bytes) Maximum MTU size for the vSphere Distributed Switch. To enable jumbo frames, set a value greater than 1500 bytes. Multicast filtering mode
- Basic. The distributed switch forwards traffic that is related to a multicast group based on a MAC address generated from the last 23 bits of the IPv4 address of the group.
- IGMP/MLD snooping. The distributed switch forwards multicast traffic to virtual machines according to the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses of subscribed multicast groups by using membership messages defined by the Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP ) and Multicast Listener Discovery protocol.
- Select Cisco Discovery Protocol, Link Layer Discovery Protocol, or (disabled) from the Type drop-down menu.
- Set Operation to Listen, Advertise, or Both.
For information about Discovery Protocol, see Switch Discovery Protocol.
Administrator Contact Enter the name and other details of the administrator for the distributed switch.
- Click OK.