Storage DRS affinity or anti-affinity rules might prevent a datastore from entering maintenance mode. You can ignore these rules when you put a datastore in maintenance mode.
When you activate the Ignore Affinity Rules for Maintenance option for a datastore cluster, vCenter Server ignores Storage DRS affinity and anti-affinity rules that prevent a datastore from entering maintenance mode.
Storage DRS rules are ignored only for evacuation recommendations. vCenter Server does not violate the rules when making space and load balancing recommendations or initial placement recommendations.
- Browse to the datastore cluster in the vSphere Client.
- Click the Configure tab and click Services.
- Select DRS and click Edit.
- Expand Advanced Options and click Add.
- In the Option column, type IgnoreAffinityRulesForMaintenance.
- In the Value column, type 1 to activate the option.
Type 0 to deactivate the option.
- Click OK.
The Ignore Affinity Rules for Maintenance Mode option is applied to the datastore cluster.