You can use third-party applications to upload certificates and key. Applications that support HTTPS PUT operations work with the HTTPS interface that is included with ESXi.
- If you want to use third-party CA-signed certificates, generate the certificate request, send it to the certificate authority, and store the certificates on each ESXi host.
- If necessary, enable the ESXi Shell or enable SSH traffic from the vSphere Client.
- All file transfers and other communications occur over a secure HTTPS session. The user who is used to authenticate the session must have the privilege on the host.
- Back up the existing certificates.
- In your upload application, process each file as follows:
The location /host/ssl_cert and host/ssl_key link to the certificate files in /etc/vmware/ssl.
- Open the file.
- Publish the file to one of these locations.
Option Description Certificates https://hostname/host/ssl_cert Keys https://hostname/host/ssl_key
- Restart the host.
What to do next
Update the vCenter Server TRUSTED_ROOTS store. See Update the vCenter Server TRUSTED_ROOTS Store (Custom Certificates).