You can use the vSphere Client to enable local and remote (SSH) access to the ESXi Shell and to set the idle timeout and availability timeout.
Note: Access the host by using the vSphere Client, remote command-line tools (ESXCLI and PowerCLI), and published APIs. Do not enable remote access to the host using SSH unless special circumstances require that you enable SSH access.
If you want to use an authorized SSH key, you can upload it. See ESXi SSH Keys.
- Browse to the host in the inventory.
- Click Configure, then click Services under System.
- Manage ESXi, SSH, or Direct Console UI services.
When you select Start and stop manually, the service does not start when you reboot the host. If you want the service to start when you reboot the host, select Start and stop with host.
- In the Services pane, select the service.
- Click Edit Startup Policy and select the startup policy Start and stop manually.
- To enable the service, click Start.