Virtual machines can use Intel SGX technology, if available on the hardware.
Requirements for vSGX
To use vSGX, your vSphere environment must meet these requirements:
- Virtual machine requirements:
- EFI firmware
- Hardware version 17
- Component requirements:
- vCenter Server 7.0
- ESXi 7.0
- Guest OS support:
- Windows Server 2016 (64 bit) and later
- Windows 10 (64 bit) and later
Use the following Intel hardware for vSGX:
- Coffee Lake CPU or later.
You might need to turn off hyperthreading on certain CPUs to enable SGX on the ESXi host. For more information, see the VMware KB article at https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/71367.
Unsupported VMware Features on vSGX
The following features are not supported in a virtual machine when vSGX is enabled:
- vMotion/DRS migration
- Virtual machine suspend and resume
- Virtual machine snapshots (Virtual machine snapshots are supported if you do not snapshot the virtual machine's memory.)
- Fault tolerance
- Guest Integrity (GI, platform foundation for VMware AppDefense™ 1.0)
These VMware features are not supported due to how the Intel SGX architecture functions. They are not the result of a VMware shortcoming.