If you are using ESXi 6.0 and later, you can view the certificate status of all hosts that are managed by your vCenter Server system. The display allows you to determine whether any of the certificates expire soon.
You can view certificate status information for hosts that are using VMCA mode and for hosts that are using custom mode in the vSphere Client. You cannot view certificate status information for hosts in thumbprint mode.
- Log in to the vCenter Server by using the vSphere Client.
- Browse the inventory list and select the vCenter Server instance.
. By default, the Hosts display does not include the certificate status.
- To show or hide columns, click the three-bar Column Selector in the lower left corner.
- Select the Certificate Valid To check box, and scroll to the right if necessary to view the added column.
The certificate information displays when the certificate expires.If a host is added to vCenter Server or reconnected after a disconnect, vCenter Server renews the certificate if the status is Expired, Expiring, Expiring shortly, or Expiration imminent. The status is Expiring if the certificate is valid for less than eight months, Expiring shortly if the certificate is valid for less than two months, and Expiration imminent if the certificate is valid for less than one month.
- (Optional) Deselect other columns to make it easier to see what you are interested in.
What to do next
Renew the certificates that are about to expire. See Renew or Refresh ESXi Certificates.