You can adjust the minimum and maximum sizes of the pointer block cache.
Caution: Changing advanced options is considered unsupported. Typically, the default settings produce the optimum result. Change the advanced options only when you get specific instructions from VMware technical support or a knowledge base article.
- Browse to the host.
- Click the Configure tab.
- Under System, click Advanced System Settings.
- In Advanced System Settings, select the appropriate item.
Option Description VMFS3.MinAddressableSpaceTB Minimum size of all open files that VMFS cache guarantees to support. VMFS3.MaxAddressableSpaceTB Maximum size of all open files that VMFS cache supports before eviction starts.
- Click the Edit button and change the value.
- Click OK.
Example: Use the esxcli Command to Change the Pointer Block Cache
You can also use the esxcli system settings advanced set -o to modify the size of the pointer block cache. The following example describes how to set the size to its maximum value of 128 TB.
- To change the value of /VMFS3/MaxAddressableSpaceTB to 128 TB, enter the following command:
# esxcli system settings advanced set -i 128 -o /VMFS3/MaxAddressableSpaceTB
- To confirm that the value is set correctly, enter this command:
# esxcli system settings advanced list -o /VMFS3/MaxAddressableSpaceTB