ESXi supports NVMe over RDMA and TCP software adapters. Use the vSphere Client to enable the software for NVMe over RDMA and TCP storage adapter.
On your ESXi host, install an adapter that supports the following types of storage.
- NVMe over RDMA adapter. For example, Mellanox Technologies MT27700 Family ConnectX-4.
- NVMe over TCP adapter. For example, i40en.
- In the vSphere Client, navigate to the ESXi host.
- Click the Configure tab.
- Under Storage, click Storage Adapters, and click the Add Software Adapter icon.
- Select the adapter type as required.
- NVMe over RDMA adapter
- NVMe over TCP adapter
- Depending on your selection in step 4, select an appropriate RDMA adapter or TCP network adapter (vmnic) from the drop-down menu.
Note: If you get an error message that prevents you from creating the software NVMe over RDMA adapter, make sure that the VMkernel binding for the RDMA adapter is configured correctly. For more information, see View RDMA Network Adapters.