The types of users involved in the process of creating and monitoring Kubernetes volumes in the vSphere Cloud Native Storage environment generally fall into two categories, a Kubernetes user and a vSphere administrator. Both types of users have access to different tools and perform different tasks.
CNS Kubernetes User
- Deploy and manage the vSphere CSI. For information, see the Driver Deployment section of the Kubernetes vSphere CSI Driver documentation on GitHub.
- Provision persistent volumes. For information about block volumes, see vSphere CSI Driver - Block Volume. For information about file volumes, see vSphere CSI Driver - File Volume.
- Perform life cycle operations for persistent volumes.
- Perform life cycle operations for storage classes.
CNS vSphere User
- Perform life cycle operations for the VM storage policies. For example, create a VM storage policy to be used for a Kubernetes storage class and communicate its name to the Kubernetes user. See Create a Storage Policy.
- Use the Cloud Native Storage section of the vSphere Client to monitor health and storage policy compliance of the container volumes across the Kubernetes clusters. See Monitor Container Volumes Across Kubernetes Clusters.