When setting up storage for ESXi systems, before creating VMFS datastores, you must decide on the size and number of LUNs to provision. You can experiment using the predictive scheme.
- Provision several LUNs with different storage characteristics.
- Create a VMFS datastore on each LUN, labeling each datastore according to its characteristics.
- Create virtual disks to contain the data for virtual machine applications in the VMFS datastores created on LUNs with the appropriate RAID level for the applications' requirements.
- Use disk shares to distinguish high-priority from low-priority virtual machines.
Note: Disk shares are relevant only within a given host. The shares assigned to virtual machines on one host have no effect on virtual machines on other hosts.
- Run the applications to determine whether virtual machine performance is acceptable.