After you have configured vCenter Server to send traps, you must configure your management client software to receive and interpret those traps.
- In your management software, specify the vCenter Server instance as an SNMP-based managed device.
- If you are using SNMP v1 or v2c, set up appropriate community names in the management software.
These names must correspond to the communities set for the SNMP agent on vCenter Server.
- If you are using SNMP v3, configure users and authentication and privacy protocols to match the protocols configured on vCenter Server.
- If you configured the SNMP agent to send traps to a port on the management system other than the default UDP port 162, configure the management client software to listen on the port you configured.
- Load the VMware MIBs into the management software to view the symbolic names for the vCenter Server variables.
To prevent lookup errors, load these MIB files in the following order before loading other MIB files: